Location: New York, Washington D.C. or Chicago office (or 100% remote within US)
Bully Pulpit Interactive is an outcomes agency made up of strategists, data scientists, digital media experts, and creative professionals. We come from politics, brands, and government and we communicate without barriers and measure what matters. BPI specializes in public affairs, corporate reputation and social impact. A growing firm, we sit on both coasts and between and connecting Silicon Valley technology, Madison Avenue creative, Washington policy and real people.
The Impact You Will Make
In this role, you’ll use your engineering experience to lead our engineering team to build, ship, and maintain apps and pipelines that power our work in advertising and communications. You’ll both manage our engineering team and contribute code directly to solve some of the most interesting problems in politics and communications, maximizing the impact of our lean team by identifying new systems that can improve our workflow, and helping chart the future roadmap for tech improvements. You will work with internal stakeholders to translate business needs into engineering outcomes.
What the Day-to-Day Looks Like
Overall.Lead the engineering team by managing our team, designing features, and writing code directly.
Tech.Build cutting-edge features and tools for our analytics tools through thoughtful system architecture and object modeling. Implement new systems and patterns that shape our work across projects and unify our micro services architecture. Balance maintenance and paying down technical debt against building new features.
Team leadership.Manage our engineering team, including one full-time engineer and several contractors. Set the pace for our engineering work, by managing the backlog and planning. Work with leadership to map our roadmap into achievable development milestones.
What You Bring
- 5+ years of experience in software or technology development
- Demonstrated ability to build cutting edge tools with the latest technologies and software approaches:
- Creating and maintaining APIs that make microservices work with one another
- Using data warehouses (e.g., Snowflake, Redshift, BigQuery) to load data, including using complex SQL queries to transform data and tools like dbt to manage data transformation
- Deploying software on cloud architectures like AWS, GCP, or Azure
- Building and deploying applications in containers with Docker
- Integrating security considerations into software development
- Strong project management and communication skills to work a diverse set of stakeholders, from other engineers to less technical end users
- Experience working alongside analytics like machine learning, natural language processing, or data visualization, particularly for creating tools that scale complex analytics workflows for less technical end users
- Excitement to collaborate with others and to serve as an internal thought leader on new technologies
BPI offers a wide range of benefits to U.S. based employees, including 100% company paid medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401(k) program with employer match up to 4%, generous time off for vacation, $50 monthly phone reimbursement, unlimited sick time, and 12 weeks of paid leave for new parents. BPI’s benefits prioritize employee wellness and progressive support to our diverse workforce.
BPI offers a comprehensive total compensation package for this role to include but not limited to a targeted base salary range of $115,000-$150,000, an annual discretionary bonus, and generous benefits. Actual base and bonus compensation will be determined by a wide variety of factors, such as skillset, level of experience, and other qualifications.
Bully Pulpit Interactive provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants for employment regardless of gender identity, race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, disability, marital status, family responsibilities, sexual orientation, veteran status, citizenship status, matriculation, personal appearance, genetic information or other protected group status.
Let’s keep in touch. Follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter at @bpimedia.com