Unitary’s purpose is to make the internet safer to improve lives and create a fairer world. Our mission is to develop video understanding AI and deploy it at scale to solve real-world problems in content moderation and beyond. We believe in an online world free from harm, where we can trust AI to make safe and fair decisions.
We are a remote-first team of passionately curious individuals who want to improve our online world by understanding its content using AI. We value our different backgrounds and experiences and recognise that a more diverse team is a stronger team. While we acknowledge that we have an essential mission and serious challenges to solve, we approach them with interest, playfulness and determination. If this sounds like something you’d like to be a part of, then reach out to us!
About this role:
Join Unitary’s Engineering team, and help build the models that underpin all of our technology. We use a combination of both computer vision and natural language processing to analyse online text, images and videos. Online content moderation is a major challenge. We have to deal with a great variety of content types, modalities, languages and contexts. We aim to build world-class models that can effectively understand content and power online safety. This is an exciting opportunity for someone with an interest in machine learning to apply their skills to an important real-world problem.
As part of your role you will:
- Design, build, and maintain efficient, scalable, and secure data pipelines to support the needs of the ML team
- Collaborate with the ML team to understand their data requirements and ensure the data infrastructure is aligned with the needs of the team
- Develop and implement data management strategies, including data cleaning, normalisation, versioning and validation
- Manage large and complex non-tabular datasets, ensuring data quality, consistency, and availability e.g. image or video
- Create and maintain technical documentation for data infrastructure and processes
- Work with the team to identify and resolve data-related issues and implement solutions to improve data quality and performance
We would love to hear from you if:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Data Science, or a related field
- 2-5 years of experience as a data engineer in a tech startup or similar environment
- Strong knowledge of data modelling
- Experience with cloud-based data storage and processing technologies (e.g. AWS, GCP)
- Knowledge of data engineering best practices, including data security and privacy
- Experience with images or some equivalent non-tabular data like text for NLP at scale
- Excellent problem-solving and critical-thinking skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Strong communication skills and ability to effectively communicate technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders
It would be even better, but not essential, if:
- You have experience in Python or similar
- You have experience working with large datasets of images or videos
- You have experience working with video codec
Unitary is a remote-first company that believes happy people are a must for company success. We are committed to creating a great culture built on genuine interest for each other's wellbeing and shared positive experiences.
We are fiercely passionate about making the internet a safer place, and deeply motivated to become a force for good. We believe that as individuals we are awesome, but as a team, we are unbeatable.
We offer progressive and market leading benefits, which we hope will enable everyone to create well balanced and exciting lives both on and off work. To name a few of them:
- Flexible hours and location
- Flexible public Holidays (choose to take public holidays on the days they fall, or take them at a different time of the year when it fits your values, beliefs, and calendar better)
- Share options
- Occupational pension
- Paid parental leave (3 months of fully paid for everyone regardless of gender, location or family situation)
- Paid sick leave (2 weeks fully paid)
- Brain-Love Budget (£1,000 per person per year towards professional development and growth)
- Feel-Good Budget (£500 per person per year towards anything health and wellness related)
- Location: Fully Remote in Europe / London HQ