Apr 07, 2023 - TileDB is hiring a remote Python/C++ API Bindings Engineer. 📍Location: USA.
We are looking for a Python-focused software engineer to build and enhance our existing APIs and integrations with the Scientific Python ecosystem. TileDB’s Python API builds on the TileDB C++ library, and integrates closely with NumPy to provide zero-copy data access. You will enhance and release the TileDB-Py API; help to maintain the TileDB Cloud Python API; build new integrations with data science, scientific, and machine learning libraries; and engage with the community and customers to create value through the use of TileDB.
Our headquarters are in Cambridge, MA, USA and we have a subsidiary in Athens, Greece. However, you will have the flexibility to work remotely as long as your legal residence is in the USA or Greece. US candidates must be US citizens, whereas Greek candidates must be Greek or EU citizens.
In your first 30 days, you will familiarize yourself with TileDB, the TileDB-Py API, and the TileDB Cloud platform. After 30 days, you will be fully integrated in our team. You’ll be an active contributor and maintainer of the TileDB-Py project, and ready to start designing and implementing new features, as well as engaging with the Python and Data Science community.
- 5+ years of experience as a software engineer, or strong evidence of prior independent work (e.g. open source contributions)
- Expertise in Python and experience with NumPy
- Experience with C++
- Significant experience with foreign function interface calls to C or C++, ideally from Python
- Experience with Python packaging, including compiled binary distribution using conda or wheels
Any of the following skills would be highly desirable but not required:
- Experience with Python FFI/binding technology, such as pybind11 (preferred), cython, SWIG, ctypes, or bare CPython API
- Experience with C, Rust, Swift, or another system-level language
- Experience with distributed computation (e.g. Dask, Spark, Airflow, MPI, Argo, or similar)
- Experience with machine learning libraries (e.g. scikit-learn, TensorFlow, Keras, PyTorch)
- Experience with Amazon Web Services or other cloud platforms (Azure, Google Cloud)
- Experience with dataframe-focused systems (e.g. Arrow, Pandas, data.frame, Polars)
- Experience with technical data formats such as (e.g. Parquet, HDF5, VCF, DICOM, GeoTIFF)
- Experience with other technical computing systems (e.g. R, MATLAB, Julia)
- Competitive salary and stock options
- 100% medical and dental insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off (vacation, sick & public holidays)
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Flexibility to work remotely (anywhere in the US or Greece)
One hour coding test, which may be waived based on level of experience or open source contributions; 30 minute intro and technical screening call with hiring manager; 1-2 calls 30-60 minute calls with potential team members; intro call with CEO or CTO.
TileDB, Inc. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive team. Please consider applying if you have a strong interest in this work, even if you do not meet every line-item in the listing. We believe in hiring for both past experience and for demonstrated potential, and we will read every application we receive.