Apr 20, 2023 - Hala Systems is hiring a remote Cloud Architect. 📍Location: USA.
Hala Systems is a social enterprise working to transform the nature of protection and accountability in the world's toughest places by democratizing advanced defense, sensing, and artificial intelligence technology. Hala is currently saving lives, reducing trauma, and improving resilience for millions of people.
Our team works across the globe and hails from over 15 countries. We speak more than 20 languages and have studied and worked in leading educational, business, research and government institutions. We are mission-driven thinkers, and we share a deep respect for each other and for the communities that partner with us.
We believe in innovation with purpose, focusing on developing real and applicable technology solutions to the challenges facing the planet. We believe in working ethically and collaboratively, and making decisions with transparency. We value flexibility, adaptability, and a good sense of humor.
The Cloud Architect at Hala is an integral member of the Software Engineering Team and reports directly to the Director of Engineering, and interfaces with the Product, Analytics and Design teams. The responsibilities for the Cloud Architect are to design the architectural vision and patterns to drive technological innovation and maintain the efficacy of the engineering teams. The Cloud Architect provides guidance and assistance on projects while innovating and tweaking current systems for optimization and ease of use.
Hala is flexible with respect to the geographic location of this position. This is a full-time position open for candidates based in the US east coast with a yearly gross salary range of $142,000 - $152,000. This position is also open for candidates based in Europe with a yearly gross salary range of 109.000€ - 119.000€.
We'll trust you to:
- Ensure Hala’s Cloud computing technology and architectural strategy is aligned with the broader company mission.
- Provide and champion thought leadership to amplify Hala’s architectural innovation and simplicity both internally and externally.
- Design and document systems and common helpers for uniform architectural patterns and tools for the engineering team to use and follow through the project lifecycle.
- Ensure adherence to security best practices, both personally, and in the development of applications and architecture.
- Conduct code reviews, and dive in with engineers to debug complex systems when needed.
- Provide technical guidance and architectural decisions and estimates within the Engineering team and to the internal and external stakeholders.
- Support the building/maintenance of autonomous teams through architectural decisions and mentorship.
Who you are:
- A creative problem solver.
- Someone who respects all voices and feels comfortable being on and participating in a team that challenges entrenched power dynamics.
- A collaborative team player with experience working in a self-directed, autonomous fashion.
- A strong communicator with excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills.
- A values-driven, trustworthy and honest person with a passion for helping people.
- Interested in shaping team culture, development processes, strategies, and the long-term growth of our company.
We'd love to see:
- Strong knowledge and experience in the following AWS technologies: Kinesis, Lambda, DynamoDB, Aurora, Redshift, S3, Athena, Glue, IAM, EC2, IoT Core, Firehose, Route53, Cloud formation, Cloudfront, API Gateway.
- Demonstrated ability to innovate (technically evaluating new technology to see if it pertains to our realm and pioneering its usage within the architecture).
- Full-stack skills and understanding of how everything fits into software architecture.
- Experience working cross-culturally, cross-functionally and collaboratively with remote and distributed teams.Experience explaining technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders.Understanding Machine Learning and Web3 concepts.
- Professional fluency in written and spoken English
What Hala offers you:
- Life-saving social impact.
- Unlimited vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it. All staff take a minimum of 22 days off plus holidays, including a mandatory 2 week vacation.
- Comprehensive, world-wide healthcare, dental and vision insurance for you and your family at no cost to you.
- Flexible working policy, including the ability to work from home.
- Computer and other office equipment to help you get your job done.Relocation assistance for you, your family, and your pets for eligible positions.
- A diverse, international community of dedicated, hardworking team players committed to interdisciplinary collaboration and a thriving workplace culture.
- Opportunities for international travel, including to program locations and satellite offices.
If there’s something important to you that isn’t on this list, please ask!
What happens next:
We will review applications and reach out to candidates advancing to the interview stage by April 21st. You should expect a phone screen, followed by several interviews with team members and the supervisor for this role, concluding with the opportunity to speak with one of our co-founders. Prior to the final interview, we will also request references that attest to your previous experience, work ethic, and values.
You will receive confirmation that your application was received, and you’ll also hear back from us whether you’re selected for an interview or not. Please note that we are unable to offer individualized feedback before the first interview round due to the volume of applications we receive.