How We Operate
We are a self-governed organization
Memri is a flat, distributed organization that gives autonomy to its teams and individuals. We created a company with structures in place to support fast scaling and a healthy, collaborative and fun culture created by the people within.
As we strive to change the world to a better future, our company values guide our decisions on how to grow, how we innovate, what technology we build and how we attract top talent.
We offer a creative, collaborative environment without the traditional top-down hierarchical structures. We value the unique mix of skills and experience that each team member brings.
Remote and Flexible
As a remote company, we think that your location is not as important as your contribution, and that a healthy life balance is critical to a thriving career. We built an environment where people are both empowered and accountable for delivering to our commitments and supporting the team as a whole.
Why would you join?
We are Memri, and we’re solving a big problem. Tech companies are gathering data and information about everyone browsing the web, but you and I have little control or access to that information. Many of the apps out there are optimized for spending a lot of time on it, instead of reaching your goals or being productive. Our attention is being captured, and we as users lose our agency. Memri is changing this.
We are building an open source community that strives to tackle data challenges through shared creativity and collaboration. We want to create a world where technology is better aligned with people’s needs today.
Our vision is large, but our approach is pragmatic. Starting small by creating a solution for an existing pain users have, and continue from there. All while staying true to our principles, by making sure our products enable people to retake their attention and control.
Among the core team, we have founders who have built and sold multiple companies to the world’s industry leaders. We are an international company with a hub in Amsterdam and a diverse, remote team based across Europe and Asia.
We are a values-centric organization and we are driven by creating a positive impact for people and planet. We use self-governing practices within our organization to give people more influence on the things they work on and the organization they work in. As with most self-governing organizations, this is a continuous process and requires specific skills such as being empathic, communicative, flexible, taking ownership and entrepreneurial.
We believe that our self-governed structure eliminates many of redundant bureaucratic routines one sees in traditional companies, but also know that there is still room for growth. Our values apply to how we work and the philosophy of the solutions we create.
We are looking for a Machine Learning (ML) Engineer to help us to build datasets, build ML pipelines, train and deploy models.
We have a world-class product, engineering, and data science team, passionate about our mission of helping consumers take back control of their digital life, by creating simple yet powerful and private solutions.
If you also have knowledge of data science and software engineering, we’d like to meet you.
What you’ll do:
- Develop and improve machine learning models for natural language processing tasks.
- Employ data preprocessing techniques to improve the quality and usability of the input data for machine learning models.
- Contribute to different parts of our software stack like pod, pymemri and plugins.
- Employ software development workflows to ensure software engineering principles and best practices are followed, and maintain clean and maintainable code.
- Collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams and communicate effectively with stakeholders to ensure the delivery of high-quality machine learning solutions.
- Take a proactive approach to drive projects forward, identify and solve problems, and ensure that project milestones are met on time and within budget.
- Do things that help us move forward. Often that means doing Machine Learning related works, but if anything is on fire, your help will be needed to put out the flames, even if it’s not ML-related.
You should apply if the following statements are true for you:
- Knowledge of natural language processing (NLP) techniques such as sentiment analysis, text classification and named entity recognition.
- Experience in designing, improving, and validating deep learning models, with an emphasis on their application in NLP.
- Understanding of data preprocessing techniques such as data cleaning, data normalization, and feature engineering.
- Experience in working with machine learning toolkits like PyTorch, scikit-learn, and others.
- Strong programming skills in Python.
- Familiarity with software development workflows, including Git, GitLab, and CI/CD, with a keen eye for software engineering principles and best practices.
- A passion for software engineering principles, best practices, and creating clean and maintainable code.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills, coupled with the ability to work effectively in cross-functional teams.
- Demonstrated ability to stay current with the latest machine learning advancements and apply them to real-world problems.
- Proactive personality, with a strong drive to push projects forward.
- Positive attitude and eager to learn.
- Experience with recommender systems
- Knowledge of database technologies such as SQL and NoSQL databases.
- Experience with containerization technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes.
- Experience deploying machine learning systems in production.
- Experience with model monitoring and debugging techniques to ensure models continue to perform accurately over time
What we offer
- The opportunity to join a value-driven company and have full power to actively build and shape an organization and its products.
- Flexible working hours; we are a self-governing organization so as long as you are available our key meetings like morning stand-ups and planning sessions, you are free to manage your schedule. Most meetings happen during CET working-hours, so some overlap with that timezone is preferable
- Flexible location; we are almost an entirely remote team, based across Europe and Asia
- Regular real-life retreats in various corners of this beautiful planet to meet, discuss, plan and build connections
- Equipment budget
- A competitive salary and an options programme
- A financial stake in the company; our leadership has successfully started and sold previous startups for major global corporations, and although we have chosen an approach that puts our values first, and profit second, we still expect a lucrative future financial outcome.
- Visa sponsorship (depending on contract type)
- This is a contract-base opportunity with the option to turn permanent
Find out more here
Our recruitment process starts when you apply to this job. We expect everyone to provide their cv/portfolio, and a motivational letter. Applications without a motivational letter will not be taken in consideration.
Memri is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
This is a Remote (work from home) position.
Powered by JazzHR