Aug 31, 2023 - Getty Images is hiring a remote Principal Data Scientist , Search and Personalization. 📍Location: Canada.
Principal Data Scientist, Search and Personalization - Canada (Remote)
Location: Canada (Remote)
Who You Are:
- We are looking for a Principal Data Scientist to lead the development of our search, personalization, and recommendations. Using your deep machine learning expertise while considering the broader business context, you will lead, and guide our data scientists, and analysts team to develop industry-leading recommendations in visual search. This position will have a direct impact on the search and browse paths for millions of customers and drive key conversion metrics!
Your Next Challenge:
- Build industry-leading algorithms using our images, metadata, and/or customer interactions to significantly improve our customers’ image/video search and discovery experiences
- Lead, guide, and mentor data scientists and data analysts in formulating, and implementing our strategy
- Develop our technical ranking roadmap alongside product, team members, and leadership. Distilling customer requirements into problem definitions and identifying measures of success
- Develop and implement online and offline testing and validation methodologies
- Partner with data engineers, machine learning engineers, and search engineers to implement and deploy new ranking algorithms in the production process
What You'll Need:
- Proven expertise building and validating search, personalization, recommendation, and/or newsfeed algorithms for customer-facing products
- A minimum of 5 years validated experience
- Proven expertise as a technical lead providing mentorship and guidance to team members.
- A strong understanding of the real-world advantages and drawbacks of various algorithms and the ability to measure success
- Ability to handle ambiguity, priorities, and competing objectives. Experience solving highly technical problems
- Hands-on experience with accessing data, Python, machine learning libraries, and deep learning libraries (ex: scikit-learn, numpy, pandas, scipy, TensorFlow, SQL, hive, spark, etc.)
- Ability to write clean, understandable code that follows leading industry standards and practices and is well-documented, and to build easily reproducible models
- An ability to consider biases that exist in the data and develop solutions to mitigate biases appropriately
- Outstanding interpersonal skills. Ability to communicate at all levels, including explaining sophisticated technical solutions to non-experts
- Open listener, ability to be open to many diverse voices and perspectives
- You are clear, credible, and forward-thinking!
- A Ph.D. or MS in Computer Science, Statistics, Data Science, Mathematics, Economics, Sociology, Natural Sciences, or any equivalent field is helpful
Mental and Physical Demands:
- A quiet location with reliable high-speed internet connectivity, environment suitable for professional work (desk, chair, external monitor, etc.)
- Frequent communication with others to exchange information
- Frequent sedentary work that primarily involves sitting/standing; Time of each will vary
- Constant operation of computer and frequent usage of other office machinery, including (but not limited to) calculator, copy machine, computer printer, etc
- Constant assessment of accuracy and thoroughness of the work assignment
Benefits at Getty Images
Extended Health Insurance
Time off Work/life balance is important to us
We provide flexible time off plus 3 sick days each calendar year. Additionally, we offer 16 weeks paid Maternity Leave for birth mothers, and 4 weeks fully paid leave for other new parents.
Company Paid Holidays
Employees enjoy company-paid holidays for each of our global locations.
Disability and Life Insurance
We automatically enroll and pay for Basic Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance (AD&D) up to 2 times your annual salary. We also provide you with fully paid Short-Term Disability and Long-Term Disability Insurance.
Employee Assistance Program
Employees have access to free, confidential assistance for everyday problems such as stress management, financial coaching, marital or family issues, substance abuse, occupational problems, and referrals for legal, childcare, and eldercare services. Employees can seek additional discounts on other wellness activities such as travel, gym memberships, and sports! Through our EAP services, employees are also eligible for 3 free counseling visits and life coaching sessions.
Group RRSP Matching Program
Save for retirement by making contributions consistently and conveniently through payroll deductions. Plus, Getty Images will match 100% of your contributions, up to a maximum of 3% of your base salary! Contributions are taken from your gross pay BEFORE payroll taxes are calculated resulting in an immediate tax reduction. Participation is voluntary so you must enroll in the plan for contributions to begin.
Learning & Growth
We value continuous learning and development to help everyone develop their skills. Enjoy mentorship, curated training & more.
Who We Are:
Getty Images is a preeminent global visual content creator and marketplace. Through Getty Images, iStock, and Unsplash, we offer a full range of content solutions to meet the needs of any customer—no matter their size—around the globe.
Getty Images encompasses the largest and best path to market for visual creators through their premier brands including its core, Getty Images; iStock, a value offering of creative stills and videos providing a significant volume of exclusive content to small and medium-sized businesses; and Unsplash, a free offering of creative stills servicing the fast-growing and broad-based creator economy.
Help us move the world with images! Bringing award-winning imagery to everyone, Getty Images has customers in almost every country in the world, with websites in 23 languages, bringing the world’s best content to media outlets, advertising agencies and corporations, small businesses and increasingly, direct to consumers.
Getty Images works with over 516,000 contributors and image partners to provide comprehensive coverage of more than 160,000 news, sport, and entertainment events around the globe. With over 520 million assets, of which over 320 million are digitized, encompassing the latest global news, sports, celebrity, music and fashion coverage; exclusive conceptual creative images; and the world’s largest commercial archive. New content is added daily, with 8-10 million new assets added each quarter.
Getty Images offers the most exclusive and unique creative and editorial visual content globally. The breadth and quality of our content allow our customers and partners to tell their stories with greater creativity and accuracy, thereby eliciting more emotion and enabling more action. Getty Images moves the world —whether the goal is commercial or philanthropic, revenue-generating or society-changing, market-disrupting or headline-driving. Getty Images offers the highest quality and most diverse visual content, based on industry-leading expertise and innovation.
As a company, we're committed to living these Principles every day. Here's how we support our mission to be the best place to work globally.
We are trustworthy, transparent, and honest
We love character, authenticity, and integrity.
We always raise the bar
Excellence is our norm; we get better through endeavor, curiosity, and speed.
We collectively bring solutions
We love debate but collaborating to solve problems for ourselves and our customers is everyone’s responsibility.
We care, are kind, courteous, and respectful
We will not tolerate rudeness.
We reject biased behavior and discrimination
We seek to understand biases in all forms. We call out biases and discrimination when observed and take action where responsible.
We are inclusive of different voices, perspectives, and experiences
Diversity and inclusion are never done, but we are passionate in their pursuit.
We are one Getty Images with no silos
We share goals and accountability; we and actively seek information and expertise; we make time for our peers.
We deliver on our commitments, and commercial goals
With one voice and shared accountability.
We put the customer at the heart of everything we do
We listen to, anticipate, and exceed customer needs, adapting as they evolve.
We celebrate our inclusive work environment and welcome members of all backgrounds and perspectives. Women, gender-nonbinary, people of color, LGBTQIA+ people, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Getty Images is committed to providing Reasonable Accommodations and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance to search for a job opening or submitting an online application, please email RecruitingAccommodations@gettyimages.com.
Visit Getty Images atwww.gettyimages.com
to learn more about how the company is advancing the unique role of still and moving imagery in communication and business, and enabling creative ideas to come to life.
For company news and announcements, visit ourPress Room
, and for the stories and inspiration behind our content, visit Stories & Trends.
Getty Images is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. Getty Images believes that diversity is critical to our success in moving the world with images and is committed to creating an inclusive, mutually respectful environment that celebrates diversity. We seek to hire on the basis of merit, competence, performance, and business needs.