Jun 29, 2023 - Trilateralresearch is hiring a remote Research Finance Manager. 📍Location: UK.
Trilateral Research has and exciting opportunity for a Research Finance Manager to join our Research Finance Team. The main purpose of the role is to manage the research finance function to enable appropriate grant administration and budget management according to EC grant requirements and maximise the research grant administration revenue.
Day to day they lead a team in the delivery of an efficient, customer-focused service covering all aspects of the research journey from pre award through to closing and reporting on awards across a complex portfolio of projects.
Our company and what we do
At Trilateral Research we provide ethical AI solutions for tackling complex social issues, from human trafficking and child exploitation, citizen security in crisis to pollution and climate change. We transform research into innovation and sustainable impact, focusing our efforts where we can enhance societal wellbeing.
We apply rigorous, cutting-edge research when developing and accessing new technologies to ensure they achieve sustainable innovation and measurable impact. Our teams include social scientists, data scientists, ethical, legal and human rights experts who work across the technology-social disciplinary divide.
What you will deliver:
- Act as line manager for Research Finance team, providing day-to-day work assignments, oversight and guidance, along with mentoring and support for career progression to staff.
- Manage overall work planning for the Research Finance team to enable support for required reporting across EC grants projects. This includes collaboration with Internal Audit & Quality Manager to support reporting on cross-functional projects (preparation for audits, input to non-EC grant reporting).
- Build a customer service culture within the Research Finance team, encouraging proactive services delivery to I&R team members and active collaboration with other corporate level service teams (HR, IS, Corporate Finance).
- Provide (either self or via staff) internal training for purposes of induction of new employees or to roll out new policies and procedures.
- Act as financial and administrative lead for specific projects where Trilateral is the Coordinator. In this capacity, provide both internal support (to project lead) and external support (to financial contacts at partner organisations) from proposal stage through grant preparation and CA signature.
- Maintain a comprehensive understanding of financial elements of funder Terms and Conditions and provide advise to assigned budget holders on financial issues.
- Lead on grant preparation and CA development for new coordinated grants and cross-train Senior Research Finance Officer(s) to take on financial lead role for future awarded coordinated grants.
- Act as lead for the pre-award stage of EC grant submissions, including: general advice regarding financial guidance to I&R team, review and sign-off on budgets, setting up proposals in ECAS system as required.
- Act as lead for grant preparation of any newly awarded research projects.
- Liaise with EC Project Officers, Finance Officers or Coordinators to prepare grant and DoA documents, amendments and periodic reports.
- Actively communicate and manage project partners as well as internal staff to ensure reporting deadlines are met.
- Develop and disseminate policies and procedures that impact profiling work and forecasting
- expenditures for projects as well as the collection of data for claims reporting, with a particular focus on ensuring they conform with EC grant project financial guidance.
- Track payments of funds for projects to ensure receipt on a timely basis and to provide updates for cash flow management.
Required Education and Experience
- ACA/ACCA/CIMA Qualification or equivalent (candidates with relevant experience will be considered)
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills are essential to this role.
- Previous experience (3-4 years minimum) with the claims process for European Commission funding streams (H2020) are preferred and can differentiate the successful applicant.
- Previous experience in managing and/or supervising small teams.
- Experience of working with international partners
- Experience of working with a range of technical/scientific stakeholders
- Experience of financial management / budget management
General Knowledge and Technical Skills
- Excellent IT skills with good knowledge of standard Microsoft packages (Word, Outlook and PowerPoint) with advanced Excel skills essential.
- Project management experience, including supporting large, complex grant-funded projects in either academic/European Commission environment or in industry
- Ability to collate information from diverse sources and compile reports. · Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy and concentration, with attention to detail.
- Customer-focused experience and highly detailed oriented
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to communicate complex financial information to stakeholders outside the Finance team
- Proven ability to multitask effectively and meet demanding deadlines
- Flexibility and adaptability: Willingness to adapt workload to the project’s demanding and varying needs
- Ability to work with confidential material and to maintain high standards of discretion
- Ability to effectively communicate deadlines to participants and ensure compliance
Our culture is based on delivering high-quality outputs, through our commitment and passion for what we do. We work in an open and collaborative environment where the team culture provides support amongst peers and colleagues. We believe in the strength of a diverse, gender-balanced environment with positive work-life balance, and value the passion and talents of our team.
Find out about our people and culture, and see how our mission drives the research projects we take on, the key data protection services we provide, and the technology products and supplementary services we develop, by visiting our website Trilateral Research.
What else do I need to know?
Our compensation package includes:
- Competitive salary
- Flexible working hours
- Remote working/working from home options
- Competitive pension scheme (applies to permanent contract only)
- Continuous career development
Location: This position is open to candidates based in the UK.
Contract type: permanent, full-time Employment Contract
Start date: Immediate
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Hours: Full time
How to apply
Please submit both your CV and a cover letter, linking your experience to our requirements in order to have your application considered. References will be required prior to appointment and candidates must be eligible to work in the UK.
We are an Equal Opportunities employer and positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates, regardless of their age, sex, race, disability, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital/civil partnership status, or pregnancy and maternity. We are a Disability Confident committed and Living Wage employer.
At Trilateral Research, we value privacy and data protection rights. We have a longstanding data protection culture and promote robust ethical standards in data management and research ethics. Please read our Recruitment Privacy Notice in relation to our recruitment activities before submitting your application to work with us.