Jun 30, 2023 - Calliper is hiring a remote Senior Full Stack Engineer. 📍Location: UK.
At Calliper, we believe that data should be for the many, not the few. Data is one of the most valuable assets companies have. Yet, most struggle to unlock its potential. We're here to change that.
We help companies win by making better decisions with data, faster. Calliper is a mission control centre for the whole company. We aggregate data from every department and deliver automated insights that enable teams to clear bottlenecks and discover growth opportunities across the full customer lifecycle.
Aggregate fragmented sources. Remove noise. Align teams. This is at the heart of what we call Collaborative Analytics.
We're a fast-growing startup backed by Sequoia and 35+ operator angels and late-stage startup founders who have first-hand experienced the challenges of building data-driven organisations.
As a company, we deeply care about our people and the culture we’re building. Learn more about us here.
What will you be working on?
You will have an opportunity to get involved in every part our product and systems. Like with any fast growing company, things can change quickly, however as a data product you can expect to consistently work on:
- Setting up integrations with different data providers. Building data pipelines for data processing and insights generation, working closely with our data science team.
- Building highly-interactive product features. We have a lot of exciting features on our roadmap like live commenting and a secure sharing system. Expect to work closely with design and product management to help build out our product.
- Improving the overall architecture and infrastructure. If we want to build that is mission critical for companies, we need to ensure we maintain stable and highly performant systems.
What is the stack you will work with?
We are still early in the product development process and made some intentional technical choices. Currently, we are working with the following technologies:
- Backend: Typescript, Postgres
- Data Engineering: Python, Prefect, Pandas
- Frontend: React, Typescript
- Infra: AWS, Kubernetes, Lambda, Terraform
How can you grow in this role?
A great Full Stack Engineer will be able to step up into a Team Lead role as the company scales. This means that you will have the opportunity to:
- Get more involved in hiring and building a world-class, global engineering team
- Coach and mentor team members from many different backgrounds to grow in both their technical and leadership skills
- Work on the longer-term strategic vision of Calliper, communicating with senior leadership, product management and operations
Who is the ideal candidate?
- Mission-driven. We are looking for missionaries, not mercenaries. Empowering teams with better data insights and enabling more cross-functional collaboration is something we are deeply passionate about
- Startup experience. Early-stage companies are incredibly exciting but come with a lot of pressure and chaos, it's important you know what you're signing up for. You should be comfortable in the face of ambiguity and uncertainty, and enjoy tackling problems without a clear definition or solution.
- Excited by the culture we are building. Culture is very important to us, and we want you to be committed to working hard to help us create a long-lasting, high-performance culture
- CS Degree? Bootcamp? Self Taught? Whatever... We aren’t precious about titles or years of experience. Whilst a traditional engineering background might be great, so will many others. The important thing is you love to ship high-quality products fast and get user feedback.
- Customer-centric. You enjoy speaking directly with customers and understanding their problems. You share your work early, whether it’s a draft of a proposal or the MVP of a customer-facing feature. You’re happy putting something out there when it’s “70% done”
What makes engineering at Calliper different?
- Distinct and strong engineering culture. We’re basing this on a handful of principles we’ve committed to as a team. Most importantly, we want everyone to have a voice in defining and evolving our engineering culture
- Exciting data and machine learning challenges. As a data company, we’re always trying to push the quality bar and impact of the algorithms we develop for our customers. However, it’s not just about the quality of data science, we also work really hard to package them in sleek, interactive and low latency product experiences
- Protected deep work sessions. Throughout the week we make time to shield the team from distractions and reactive work. Close Slack and turn off your notifications and ship some high-quality work
- Strong advocation for great developer experience. We like using services that take care of undifferentiated work. Obviously, there are a handful of areas of the product where we need to build something custom ourselves, but in most cases, we are happy to pay for what’s already tried and tested
- No BS. No ego. Just direct communication and an honest search for truth. We want to always be improving as a team and individuals, so we leave ego at the door and always try to be intellectually honest
- Tight processes, clear goals and limited chaos. We are considerate and intentional with what we are building, so we always have a clear view of the roadmap and priorities. Startups are hard enough we don’t want to do crazy pivots every month
What are Calliper's values?
We strive to be thoughtful and intentional with the culture we build at Calliper.
🏆 Take ownership, deliver work you’re proud of.
Having high personal standards and delivering quality work is very important to us. We care about the details.
⛩ Choose simplicity, bring order to the chaos.
Less is more, don’t try to overcomplicate things and always find out how things can be reduced to their core.
📣 Create transparency, communicate proactively and authentically.
Be honest and upfront about what’s working and what’s not. When you disagree with something, speak your mind.
🏗. Find leverage, create lasting impact.
Find ways to make your work to continue delivering value after it’s been shared - deliver compounding returns.
How will your recruitment process work?
We're excited to get to know you! 🥳
We're a small, agile team, made up of only senior contributors, so we've designed this process to stretch and test you across both technical and soft skills. Across 2-4 weeks through this process, you will get a real glimpse into what it would be like to work at Calliper and get to know the team.
- Coding & Motivational Assessment. (30mins) We’re a small team of senior hires. We don't want to waste anyone's time if you're not a good fit for an early-stage company or don't match our technical requirements. We will send you a short coding test and a handful of motivational questions to answer.
- Intro Call (30 mins). We can tell you more about us and the role, and we want to learn more about your background, ambitions, and values. This is as much about selling ourselves to you as you telling us how awesome you are.
- Technical Challenge & Whiteboard Discussion (120mins). We will give you an open-ended, take-home technical challenge(4-6hrs) and invite you to come in a give a demo of your solution. This will give you a taste of some of the technical challenges you'll work on and show you how we collaborate around product decisions during the Q&A. We will then dive into some live coding (no algorithms!) and a systems design whiteboard session.
- Final Conversation (60 mins). This will be a chance for you to meet the wider team and get to know your potential future colleagues. Ultimately we want make sure your goals and motivations are aligned with what we can offer, and ensure it's a good fit on both sides.
Please note that we are also open to a trial period where we can work with you as a consultant to get to know each other better.
💜 We strongly encourage candidates of all different backgrounds and identities to apply. We believe that our team is stronger with a variety of perspectives, and we’re eager to build a . If you have a background that you feel would make an impact at Calliper, please consider applying. We’re committed to building an inclusive, supportive place for you to do the best work of your career.
What perks can you expect if you join us?
We’re not Google but want to provide you with everything you need to feel productive and empowered to operate at your best.
We love working together and getting together but are remote-first as a policy. Work anywhere in a European timezone.
🌴 4 Weeks Holiday Minimum
We encourage and enforce team members to take time away from work.
🌿 Personal Goals Support
Up to £500 funding per year is offered to pursue personal growth or wellness projects (from marathons to meditation camps).
🖥️ Home Office Budget
Get the best computer, desk, chair, headphones, or whatever else you need to work from home comfortably with a generous budget.
🥪 Monthly Lunch & Learn
Have lunch with us every month, with great talks from colleagues and industry leaders.
✈️ Bi-Annual Adventures
Twice a year we do an offsite to come together and grow as a team. This always involves a mixture of fun activities and working hard to solve complex cross functional challenges.