Jul 04, 2023 - Pachama is hiring a remote Legal Counsel - Origination. 📍Location: Worldwide.
Pachama is looking for an experienced projects / infrastructure attorney to assist with all aspects of our forest carbon project origination business. This role reports to Pachama’s Head of Legal and will lead the legal efforts to bring the highest quality forest carbon projects to market, primarily focusing on Latin America and the United States. You will have significant cross-functional stakeholder engagement and responsibility, working closely with Pachama’s Finance, Accounting, Carbon Development, Sales, and Product Teams.
This role is fully remote with a strong preference to be located in the Western Hemisphere.
Who We Are:
Pachama is a mission-driven company looking to restore nature to help address climate change. Pachama brings the latest technology in remote sensing and AI to the world of forest carbon in order to enable forest conservation and restoration to scale. Pachama’s core technology harnesses satellite imaging with artificial intelligence to measure carbon captured in forests. Through the Pachama marketplace, responsible companies and individuals can connect with carbon credits from projects that are protecting and restoring forests worldwide.
What You Will Help Us With:
- Negotiating contracts with project implementation partners, landowners, customers/offtakers, and financing sources for our forest carbon credit projects.
- Supervising legal due diligence of the projects and stakeholders involved in forest carbon credit project development.
- Ensuring all cross-functional stakeholders within Pachama are appropriately involved and informed at the correct stages of project development.
- Providing legal input on the development of cutting edge tech products that will allow Pachama to scale its forest carbon credit origination business.
Experience & Skills We're Looking For:
- 5+ years in legal roles devoted to infrastructure / natural resource project development.
- A mix of in-house and law firm experience is preferred, but law firm-only candidates will be considered.
- Significant cross-border experience. The projects we develop are primarily in Latin America, and advanced professional proficiency in Spanish and/or Portuguese is strongly preferred. Strong familiarity with at least one Latin American legal system is required (ideally Brazil or Mexico).
- Ability to negotiate directly with all types of counterparties, from local landowners to Fortune 500 clients, and financing sources.
- Licensed to practice law in at least the jurisdiction in which you are located, and, ideally a U.S. law degree (JD or LLM)
- Low ego and a collaborative attitude are essential for success in this role and at Pachama.