Jul 15, 2023 - Jimdo is hiring a remote Engineering Manager. 📍Location: Germany.
Jimdo’s mission is to unleash the power of self-employed small business owners, the backbone of the global economy, and help them thrive. We offer products and services to help founders start, grow, and manage their businesses.
Jimdo was founded by three school friends in 2007 in a farmhouse in Northern Germany. Today, we’re a growing profitable business with a team of 250+ people from 50 nationalities based in over 15 countries. We have a physical location in Hamburg, Germany, where teams come together for in-person collaboration. Jimdo started as a website builder, and has helped businesses create over 32 million websites. Over the years, our portfolio evolved to specifically serve the unique needs of micro businesses. In addition to our GDPR-compliant website builder powered by AI, we offer an online store, logo creator, legal text generator, business listings, social media integration, SEO, and more.
We are constantly developing new products and services that make the lives of micro business owners easier and help fuel their businesses. If you’re inspired by our mission and like the idea of working for a dynamic remote-first company where you can create impact from day 1, we’d love to meet you!
Listen in on a conversation with Felipe Fulran Da Silva, VP of Engineering at Jimdo on how the Engineering team ties into this mission and its future:
We are seeking an experienced Engineering Manager with a strong background in backend services to join our Engineering Excellence Group. This pivotal role is instrumental in fostering the professional and technical growth of our team while ensuring that we continue to innovate and excel in our field.
Reporting to the Head of Architecture, the successful candidate will have a deep understanding of our tech stack which includes AWS, Cloudflare, Kotlin, Golang, and both SQL and NoSQL databases.
What you will be doing:
- Lead, mentor, and support a team of engineers, fostering a culture of technical excellence and continuous improvement
- Conduct regular one-on-ones to ensure your direct reports are motivated, engaged, and growing both professionally and technically
- Collaborate with the Head of Architecture to influence product strategy, roadmaps, and technical designs
- Contribute to and review architectural designs and decisions, ensuring they align with our business goals and technical standards
- Partner with the People Ops team to recruit, onboard, and retain top engineering talent
You will be successful in this role if:
- Strong software engineering background with a focus on backend services
- Proficiency in AWS, Cloudflare, Kotlin, Golang, and both SQL and NoSQL databases is a huge plus
- Proven experience in managing and growing high-performing engineering teams
- Capable of engaging in technical discussions and facilitating teams to make sound technical decisions independently
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to nurture team growth and foster a collaborative working environment
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience
- Previous experience as a Software Engineer prior to transitioning into a management role is preferred
What we offer:
- By helping solopreneurs and small businesses succeed we’re making communities around us more sustainable, resilient, and vibrant.
Flexibility and Trust:
- Fully remote work with elements of in-person collaboration.
- Flexible working hours. We value outcomes over presenteeism.
- Option to work outside of your country of employment for up to 90 days in a year.
- Side hustles are encouraged.
Diverse international team:
- We’re 250+ people representing 50+ nationalities and based in 15+ locations.
- Employee-led DEI Council, active ERGs.
Growth and Career Development:
- Culture of knowledge sharing supported by our learning experience platform (LXP) HowNow.
- Opportunity to share ideas and create impact from Day 1. Flat hierarchies and short decision-making process.
Competitive benefits, including:
- Compensation is reviewed at least once a year.
- Remote Office Set Up bonus.
- Workation Policy.
- Employee Assistance Program (resources, counseling).
- Up to three free Jimdo websites that you get to keep forever!
Jimdo is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. This means that we don’t discriminate based on race or ethnic origin, color, the language(s) you speak, where you (or your parents) are from, or whether or not you consider yourself to have a disability. Neither will your age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, beliefs, or political opinions play a part in your application with us. We’re a diverse team in so many ways, and we love it that way.