Jul 18, 2023 - Turnitin, LLC is hiring a remote AI Data Engineering and Data Science Manager. 📍Location: USA.
100% REMOTE MUST BE U.S. BASED
Turnitin, an AI-focused leader in the educational and research sectors, has been at the forefront of promoting academic integrity and innovation for over two decades. We are renowned for our cutting-edge solutions which have been embraced by thousands of academic institutions, corporations, and publishers worldwide.
At Turnitin, we believe in flexibility, offering remote working as a standard arrangement. We value diversity, respect local cultures, and honor individual choices. For those who prefer, we provide the option to work in our offices located in various parts of the globe, including Oakland, Dallas, Pittsburgh, Kyiv (Ukraine), Newcastle (UK), and Utrecht (Netherlands). Our team is diverse yet unified by a shared commitment to making a significant impact in education.
AI and data science are integral to our success and ambitious product roadmap. Joining us as an AI Data Engineering and Data Science Manager, you'll become part of a global team of proactive, supportive, and independent professionals committed to delivering sophisticated, well-structured AI and data systems. You'll closely collaborate with different teams within Turnitin to integrate AI and data science across a broad suite of products, designed to enhance learning, teaching, and academic integrity.
In your role as AI Data Engineering and Data Science Manager, you'll be expected to be versatile and well-balanced in your skills, covering a range of responsibilities:
- Leadership: Build and grow a team of AI data engineers and data scientists, ensuring their growth and high performance.
- AI Data Engineering: Design, build, operate and deploy real-time data pipelines at scale using AI methods and best practices. Apply cutting edge data warehousing, data science and data engineering technologies to accelerate Turnitin’s AI R&D efforts . Automate low-value tasks and enable faster time to market and better reusability of new AI initiatives.
- Collaboration: Partner with AI R&D teams and the Data Platform Team in collecting, creating, curating and maintaining high-quality AI datasets. Ensure alignment and integration of data architecture and data models across different products and platforms.
- Strategic Contribution: Serve as a thought leader in AI and data science, advising Turnitin's senior leadership on how to leverage AI-driven data engineering to create future-proof data strategies and activate data to build a hybrid data engineering platform.
- Hands-on Involvement: Engage in data engineering and data science tasks as required to support the team. Lead external data collection efforts - including state of the art prompt engineering techniques - to support the construction of state of the art AI models.
- Innovation: Drive data innovation through research and development to unearth insights from Turnitin's rich data resources.
- Communication: Ensure clarity of the company's vision and mission across the team and foster excellent communication within the organization.
- Continuous Learning: Stay updated on new tools and development strategies, and bring innovation recommendations to leadership.
- At least 5 years of experience in data engineering and data science, ideally focused on enabling and accelerating AI R&D.
- At least 2 years of experience in a managerial or technical leadership role, with responsibility covering large crossfunctional projects.
- Strong proficiency in Python, Java and SQL.
- Strong Proficiency with Redshift, Hadoop, Elasticsearch and cloud platforms (AWS, Azure, GCP).
- Familiarity interacting with AI frameworks including PyTorch and TensorFlow and AI libraries such as Huggingface and Scikit-Learn.
- Expertise in interacting with and prompting cutting-edge Large Language Models (LLMs) and LLM APIs.
- Strong problem-solving, analytical, and communication skills, and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
- 7+ years of experience in data engineering and data science, with a focus on AI and machine learning projects.
- 4+ years of experience in a managerial or technical leadership role.
- Familiarity with natural language processing (NLP) techniques and tools.
- Experience in the education or education technology sectors.
- Experience with data visualization and data communications.
Characteristics for Success
As an AI Data Engineering and Data Science Manager, you should have:
- A passion for creatively solving complex data problems.
- The ability to work collaboratively and cross-functionally, with strong leadership skills.
- A strong growth mindset and ability to constantly improve your skills and knowledge.
- Excellent track record of delivering results and ensuring a high level of quality.
- A desire to mentor, guide and grow high potential individual contributors.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A sense of curiosity about the problems at hand, the field at large, and the best solutions.
- Strong system-level problem-solving skills.
The expected annual base salary range for this position is: $123,471/year to $205,785/year. This position is bonus eligible / commission-based. As a Remote-First company, actual compensation will be provided in writing at the time of offer, if extended, and is determined by work location and a range of other relevant factors, including but not limited to: experience, skills, degrees, licensures, certifications, and other job-related factors. Internal equity, market and organizational factors are also considered.
Total Rewards @ Turnitin
Turnitin maintains a Total Rewards package that is competitive within the local job market. People tend to think about their Total Rewards monetarily – solely as regular pay plus bonus or commission. This what they earn in exchange for what they do. However, Turnitin delivers more than just these components. Beyond the intrinsic rewards of making a difference in the lives of educators, administrators, learners and researchers around the world, and thriving in an organization that is free of politics and full of humble, inclusive and collaborative teammates, the extrinsic rewards at Turnitin include generous time off and health and wellness programs that offer choice and flexibility and provide a safety net for the challenges that life presents from time to time. In our Remote-First approach to collaborating, you are also able to work the way that best fits your style and situation – whether that be remote, in one of our offices/rented spaces or hybrid.
Our Mission is to ensure the integrity of global education and meaningfully improve learning outcomes.
Our Values underpin everything we do.
Customer Centric - We realize our mission to ensure integrity and improve learning outcomes by putting educators and learners at the center of everything we do.
Passion for Learning - We seek out teammates that are constantly learning and growing and build a workplace which enables them to do so.
Integrity - We believe integrity is the heartbeat of ExamSoft. It shapes our products, the way we treat each other, and how we work with our customers and vendors.
Action & Ownership - We have a bias toward action and empower teammates to make decisions.
One Team - We strive to break down silos, collaborate effectively, and celebrate each other’s successes.
Global Mindset - We respect local cultures and embrace diversity. We think globally and act locally to maximize our impact on education.
- Flexible/hybrid working
- Remote First Culture
- Health Care Coverage*
- Tuition Reimbursement*
- Competitive Paid Time Off
- 4 Self-Care Days per year
- National Holidays*
- 3 all-company global holidays (Juneteenth + 2 Founder’s Days)
- Paid Volunteer Time*
- Charitable cContribution Match*
- Monthly Wellness Reimbursement/Home Office Equipment*
- Access to Modern Health (mental health platform)
- Parental Leave*
- Retirement Plan with match/contribution*
* varies by country
Turnitin, LLC is committed to the policy that all persons have equal access to its programs, facilities and employment. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and the LGBTQ+ community, regardless of age, gender, religion, marital or veterans status.