Sep 05, 2023 - Worldwide Webb is hiring a remote Senior Software Engineer. 📍Location: UK.
Who We Are
Welcome to Webb Technology, the trailblazing gaming company building the Worldwide Webb, the MMO you wish you had growing up.
Embark on a dungeon crawler with raid bosses, compete in a 5v5 MOBA, or explore traditional MMO world quests, resource collection, and crafting. Our pixel art browser game invites players to shape an immersive world set in an alternate universe where AI emerges in the early '90s, blending retro-futuristic aesthetics with an AI-driven narrative.
Ready to redefine the gaming landscape with us? Join our visionary team at Worldwide Webb, and let's create an unparalleled virtual experience together.
We are a team of game enthusiasts, world builders, and design and development devotees with an indie spirit - including ex-Blizzard, Jagex and Epic Games talent. We're staunch advocates for games that prioritise fun, excitement, and outstanding design. Together, we're raising the bar by developing captivating games that truly engage players.
You will be helping to build out a massively scalable game server to allow thousands of players and NPCs to interact in real-time. You'll work with other back-end developers as well as game developers to implement the mechanisms that make up our game universe, ranging from the persistent storage of player data, items, and quests in databases, to real-time systems that handle the state updates needed for players to be able to see each other run around in the game world in real-time.
- Translate the needs of the game frontend and game logic into backend services that support the data storage, business logic, and/or real-time communications needed for them
- Respond to bug reports and investigate and resolve bugs across the backend
- Design and build with security, performance, and maintainability in mind
- Build tools used internally to support operations
- Work with technologies such as Node.js, Typescript, databases of all kinds, pub-sub, and Kubernetes
- Must have experience within the Gaming industry
- 4+ years of professional experience with Node.js and Typescript in a backend position
- Experience with developing and maintaining a non-trivial backend consisting of microservices
- Experience with working with both NoSQL and RDB databases
- Experience working with at least one other data-related technology, such as: timeseries databases, Elasticsearch, pub-sub, RPCs, or Kafka
- Experience with cloud providers, CI/CD, an Docker/Kubernetes, Helm, and Terraform
- Work with best-in-class design enthusiasts, pixel art aficionados, nostalgic gamers, world builders, anti-conformists, vaporwave fanatics, video game historians, lore masters, speed runners, easter egg hunters, modders, code wizards, database gurus, and hackers.
- Work from anywhere (100% remote)
- Competitive compensation, benefits, and perks