Sep 09, 2023 - Arch Systems is hiring a remote Sr. Software Engineer (Industrial Applications). 📍Location: USA.
Arch Systems is seeking a Sr. Software Engineer to join our rapidly scaling team and develop our factory data collection and processing applications. This position requires someone with advanced Python skills who has successfully designed and built complex software systems that require industrial domain knowledge.
About Arch Systems
Started by Stanford Engineering PhDs and grown out of non-profit work in Africa, Arch is a venture-backed company working with the world's largest electronics manufacturers. We combine rich data from all machines, new and legacy, to drive real time and predictive analytics transforming manufacturing efficiency and how we work.
We are looking for talented and driven people who seek a lasting impact both in transforming manufacturing operations as well as making critical industries more efficient, connected, and sustainable. Come join our diverse and passionate team!
We benchmark our compensation against market rates in the San Francisco Bay Area and use a compensation formula that includes a location factor to determine total target compensation. At Arch, total target compensation may include a competitive base salary and a performance bonus.
Since before COVID-19, Arch has operated as a remote-equal team and we welcome candidates from anywhere in the world to apply. While we have team members in over 5 countries across various time zones, for this role it is required that candidates work in PST. US applicants must be authorized to work in the US. We are unable to sponsor visas at this time.
About the Role
As a Sr. software Engineer on our Data Science team, you will split your time equally across three areas: data science productionization, development for programmatic report generation, and driving design and implementation for the analytics framework. First, you will work with data scientists to create robust analytics models that deliver value discovered during investigations, and after becoming familiarized with the SMT domain, to extend models where research is not required. Second, you will support Data Analysts to create reusable reporting tools to programmatically generate complex Excel reports or datasets for BI tools. Third, you will own the codebase used to run models and generate reports, creating and realizing a vision for its development, introducing more rigorous design concepts and testing, and extending its capabilities. The ideal candidate will be adaptable to a wide range of tasks, and be accustomed to learning new technical domains and software technologies self-sufficiently and on the fly. You will be working to help solve the most advanced problems in the electronics industry that, in most cases, are not yet well-enough characterized to be solved with straightforward applications of existing machine learning tools.
In this role your general responsibilities will be:
- Productionizing – Taking solutions provided by the rest of the data science team and adapting them for production with optimized, maintainable, tested, and extensible implementations.
- Analytics Support – Creating reusable components for data analysts to programmatically generate Excel-based and BI reports.
- Operations – Ensure the analytics framework performs as intended and provides the required functionalities to deliver insights and analytics. Design and implement tests validating data and results across the chain from data acquisition to customer-facing reports.
- Domain-specific model development – In collaboration with data scientists, gain discrete manufacturing domain expertise to be able to extend existing analytics to new machine vendors or types.
- Running data investigations – Perform investigations and audits in response to customer requests.
WHAT YOU NEED TO BRING TO THE TABLE:
- Bachelors degree with a minimum of 7 years relevant work experience is required; Masters degree in natural sciences, engineering, or applied mathematics with a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience is preferred. Experience analyzing industrial data or other real-world data is a must.
- 3+ years of advanced software development experience along with advanced skills in Python, Jupyter, and/or Pandas, as well as familiarity with standard BI tools, Python visualization and dashboarding packages, and an appetite to expand your technical computing skills. Demonstrated ability to take successful investigations in Jupyter notebooks and create robust production code following established practices and deployment workflows is desired.
- Proven ability to elucidate valuable areas of investigation from a wide range of possibilities and independently pursue opportunities without explicit direction.
- Strong self-motivation and independent problem solving abilities, a willingness to adapt to new challenges and fields of expertise, and readiness to learn across wide-ranging topics.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to explain complex technical concepts to general audiences, and experience working across international teams.
- Ability to balance multiple work streams and great time-management balancing reactive tasks and long-running projects requiring extended periods of focussed effort.
WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT:
- Experience with manufacturing or industrial data is a strong plus. Eagerness to rapidly learn surface mount technology (SMT) and electronics assembly processes is required, though you do not need to be, and probably are not already an expert in these exact areas.
- Experience and domain knowledge in an industrial industry, especially manufacturing or process improvement
- Specifically any experience or knowledge in PCBA, electronics assembly or surface mount technology (SMT)
- Experience horizontally with data engineering and data analysts to develop comprehensive solutions adapted to the complexities of industrial data and large-scale data analytics.
- Previous experience working within a remote, distributed team in an early-stage start-up is a plus.
- Experience in communicating complex technical ideas to non-technical colleagues or customers, from machine operators to high level business leaders.
HOW WE WILL SUPPORT YOU:
- Ambitious and clear vision of how you can be a part of transforming the manufacturing supply chain and building next generation IoT technology
- Highly motivated and experienced team with the relevant domain expertise and network
- Ability to deploy your work solving cutting edge problems with Fortune 500 customers and nonprofit developing world partners alike
- Learning & Development budget to allow you to continue to grow in not only your function, but in any way that relates!
- Trust in your ability to do your best work when and where you want and to communicate this with your team
- Flexible Time Off: take the time you need, including an end-of-year break and an ask that all Arch-itects take at least one additional (consecutive) week off each year to recharge in addition to local holidays and religious observances
- Opportunity to challenge yourself, be nurtured, and grow in a highly dynamic environment
- A culture that welcomes and encourages autonomy, ownership, and transparency; allowing you to make, learn from, and teach others in your “failures” as much as your successes
- Potential to travel to annual Arch Summit, when it is safe to gather again in-person
- A culture of diversity of thought and background with many languages and nationalities on the team
Resumes must be submitted in English
We encourage interested and enthusiastic applicants to apply and not allow imposter syndrome to self-select out of an opportunity. We believe in hiring people as their full and authentic selves, allowing them to utilize their strengths and then helping them to learn, grow, and add to those strengths.