Sep 27, 2023 - Boclips is hiring a remote Lead Software Engineer. 📍Location: Europe.
UK based or Europe (GMT +/- 2 hours only) - Fully remote
Tech stack: Kotlin, Spring, React, Typescript, Kubernetes
Primary skills we consider: Kotlin, React
Compensation: Starting at £85k (if London based) or localised equivalent in country of residence
Employment type: Permanent/ Full-time
Remote working: Remote
Visa sponsorship: No
Boclips is the world’s leading source of “Ed Ready” video—supercharging learning platforms across K-12, Higher Education and beyond, shaping the future of media-rich learning experiences for students around the world.
We partner with a large array of brands whose work is valued by educators and learners alike and that distribute their content through our AI-powered technology platform. We are majority owned by Achieve Partners, a strategic investor in companies that, like Boclips, are inventing the future of education.
We are looking for a Lead Software Engineer to join our engineering team. You will be responsible for one of our cross-functional teams taking care of ingestion and discovery of video content on our platforms. Our educational video library contains around 2 million videos and we are busy acquiring more. You will work closely with Product Managers, Data Science team and others to create and improve user’s ability to effectively find the right content matching their educational goals and needs in our library.
Some of your responsibilities will be:
- You are a multiplier first, a doer second. You will manage full stack engineers, run 1:1, conduct reviews and guide their growth.
- Work closely with Product Managers, Head of Product and other engineers to plan and deliver features in a timely manner.
- Collaborate with other Lead Software Engineers, product, data and non-product teams (e.g. Content, Sales, Marketing) to design and deliver effective solutions aligned with product direction
- Measure and tend to team productivity and happiness
- Be hands-on by pairing with Engineers to deliver stories
- Support the hiring process by taking part in interviews, provide inputs for job postings and headcount planning, and tend to how the company is perceived externally
- Work together with the Head of Engineering and other Lead Software Engineers to evolve our processes and ensure health of our platform
Engineering Team Culture:
Our culture is what sets us apart! We care about people and we care about problems. What does this mean in practice?
- No egos, thanks!
- An open-minded, respectful, learning-focused environment.
- Supported growth and development
- Pair programming as standard to solve problems together.
- Quarterly hackathons
- Practitioners of “you build it, you run it”
Our tech stack:
We leverage state of the art technologies and work in an XP manner to deliver our solutions:
- We use React on top of TypeScript for our frontend.
- Most of our services are written in Kotlin and Spring Boot.
- We run our microservices on a Kubernetes cluster (GKE).
- We host our data services on GCP, AWS, Elastic Cloud and MongoDB Atlas.
- We practise continuous integration. We commit directly to main reserving Pull Requests for odd times when we don’t pair.
- We run a pipeline-based continuous delivery system (we use Concourse CI).
- We use Prometheus, Grafana. Jaeger and OpsGenie for observability and alerting.
- You have some experience managing Engineers
- You have experience working with React, Typescript or Kotlin
- You have prioritised hiring a diverse team in previous roles.
- You are happy to work across our tech stack. Don’t worry you don’t need to be an expert in all of it!
- As a Software Engineer, you think in terms of holistic problem solving rather than technical implementations.
- You thrive when working in a highly-collaborative agile environments
- You simplify and can bring clarity to the team
- You are open-minded and respectful even when you disagree.
Please attach a cover letter to your application stating what interests you about the role and Boclips and why you think you might be a good fit. This is a requirement of the application and applications missing this will not be considered.
What We Offer
- Salary starting at GBP £85k (if based in London, or the localised equivalent in country of residence)
- Annual company bonus (up to 10%)
- 30 days Annual Leave (+ 9 public holidays)
- Choose how you work (fully-remote - UK/ Europe time zone)
- Medical and pension (according to location)
- Enhanced parental leave (16 weeks fully-paid UK)
- Home office set-up budget
- Remote — our team works from anywhere within GMT +/- 2 hours. With at least 6 hours of overlap with GMT.
At Boclips, we’re building a product for education, which means we are building a product for all learners. Our platform and its content is viewed by thousands of students around the world every week who have different needs, abilities and backgrounds. That’s why we are committed to hiring people regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age or disability so our team can better empathise with our users.