Oct 06, 2023 - Thematic is hiring a remote Machine Learning Engineer. 📍Location: New Zealand.
We are looking for a Machine Learning Engineer based anywhere in New Zealand. You have strong knowledge of software development as well as familiarity with Natural Language Processing. You are excited about the power of Large Language Models and integrating them into real world products.
Thematic is a SaaS platform for customer feedback analysis, powered by the latest AI algorithms. Our goal is to empower companies to get clear and accurate insights from customer feedback in a fast and effortless way. We work with the likes of Google, LinkedIn, Atlassian and Doordash (just to name a few). Our users are researchers, analysts and product operations people. By getting a faster understanding of customer needs, our customers improve their customer metrics, and grow faster.
We already use LLMs throughout our solution. Our CEO and Co-founder has a PhD in NLP. We are now looking to expand our R&D team to double-down on what we know well: delivering value and impact with the latest advances in AI.
We've been around since 2017 and are a fully remote team of 20+. Our R&D happens in New Zealand, our sales focus has been mainly in the US. We use modern tools like Slack, Jira and Zoom for communication and collaboration. We strive to minimize meetings, but also dedicate time to build a diverse and inclusive company culture. We are well funded (YCombinator, AirTree) and profitable.
You’ll work closely with two other Machine Learning experts as well as Thematic founders. We are already aware of many opportunities where LLMs can add value for our customers. We need to test various approaches, run experiments, build prototypes and ship products. This involves improving existing models and building new ones, deploying models into production.
What you’ll need to be successful:
- A strong understanding and experience with Machine Learning
- Experience across the full lifecycle of ML models - from data collection, processing, model training, evaluation, as well as deploying to production
- Familiarity and experience with Natural Language Processing and LLMs
- Knowledge of key NLP techniques
- Experience writing prompts to analyze data
- Solid software development experience.
- Proficiency with Python
- Experience with AWS and Github Actions
- Experience with working collaboratively using Git with remote repositories
- Able to communicate ideas clearly, both written and verbally
- 2+ years of full time work experience
What will help you but is not required:
- Understanding of research, insights, customer experience or product management
- Familiarity with cloud infrastructure and CI/CD implementations
We know someone like you is in demand right now, so why should you choose to work with us? Well, when it comes to AI we know what we are doing! And… we take care of our team!
- You'll have a base salary of $120,000 per year (negotiable, and depends on level of experience), plus employee stock options.
- You'll enjoy flexible working hours. Work late, work early, it's up to you how to plan your week
- You can work remotely from anywhere in the world during 1-2 months a year
- You'll work remotely in comfort. We'll pay $400 per month towards a private or a shared office space (tax free)
- You’ll gain exposure to some of the world’s top tech brands, and be the one to build relationships with them!
- You will be a part of a smart and high performing team that makes sure to have fun as well as work hard
- We organize regular team activities, as well as a weekly Friday sessions where we bond as a team and learn about topics like "mushroom growing", "work while leaving in a camper van" or "growing up behind the Iron Curtain", or play a fun game
- You’ll bond with the team in the annual team retreat. We've taken our entire team to both Hawaii and the best parts of New Zealand in the past!
If any of the above resonates with you, we want to hear from you!