Oct 25, 2023 - Baubap is hiring a remote Head of Data. 📍Location: Mexico.
We are a fast-growing, Mexican fintech startup with the mission to become the bridge to people’s financial freedom through technology.
We are providing microloans to people in financial need through a fast and efficient process, always treating them with the respect and dignity they deserve.
Our long-term vision is be the most inclusive digital bank in LATAM with more than 2.5 million clients.
About your role
- Your mission is to lead and oversee the data strategy of Baubap, allowing us to leverage technology to improve financial freedom for our users. This involves leading a team of data experts, establishing a robust infrastructure to ensure ethical handling of information, and utilizing advanced analytics to inform strategic decisions.
- Ensure that Data Analytics is central to every decision-making process at Baubap.
- Lead the constant improvement of our Underwriting Machine Learning Models to ensure higher origination with the same risk profile.
- Implement an integrated data infrastructure that optimizes for speed and scalability.
- Assemble, mentor, and hold accountable a high-performing data team to support Baubap's objectives.
- Ensure that your team is as well-equipped as possible to achieve their goals and effectively manage their direct reports.
Day to day
- Oversee the progress of Data Science teams, holding them accountable to their KPIs and providing guidance on overall strategy.
- Mentor and coach Team Leaders and Managers.
- Continuously review and refine our recruitment strategy and policy, as well as our performance evaluation process.
- Engage in long-term and strategic planning for the constant evolution of the Data Science teams.
- Drive the implementation of industry innovation where it can clearly bring value to our end users.
- 5 years of experience in data management, preferably in fintech.
- Proven track record of leading a data team and driving significant business impact through data insights.
- Proficiency in Python, SQL, and data visualization tools.
- Deep understanding of Machine Learning fundamentals and Data Analytics concepts.
Nice to have:
- Previous experience in a startup or fintech environment.
- Knowledge of the LATAM financial market.
- Clear and transparent communication. You are able to able to express your thoughts clearly, concisely and to the point. You can openly discuss any blockers you have, and constructively point out areas for improvement.
- Relentlessly resourceful at execution and problem solving. You make things happen, no matter what. You are disciplined, organized and systematically follow through on your work. Instead of getting stuck thinking "well, this doesn't work", you look for creative / innovative / outside-of-the-box solutions to fix the issue and move on.
- Sense of urgency. You operate with a constant sense of urgency (as if there was a large, hungry wolf chasing you), constantly looking for ways to move ahead and push everything around you to get to your desired outcome in the most efficient and productive way. You don’t wait around and make things happen.
- Flexibility / adaptability / resilience. You can maintain your composure and focus despite the constantly changing environment, and adequately adapt to new conditions. You can swiftly change the course of action when needed, and you don't get easily demotivated.
- Being self-driven /committed. You require very little guidance and intervention from your leader to move ahead. You can correctly read what the situation requires, and take the necessary action accordingly. If your leader were to disappear, you can still move ahead and make relevant things happen. You act because you want to, and not because someone else is telling you that you should.
- Strategic thinking / seeing the bigger picture. You can see further than just your immediate "doorstep". You can correctly assess the deeper implications of certain decisions that might materialise in the future, and take decisions accordingly. You often use data or previous research to inform your recommendations and decisions.
- Critical / analytical thinking. You can correctly analyse the root causes of a problem, without getting side-tracked by irrelevant, minor details. You can come to the right conclusion and propose a clear, logical plan of action. You don't stay on the surface of things.
- Being part of a multinational, highly driven team of professionals.
- Flexible and remote working environment.
- High level of ownership and independence.
- 20 vacation days / year + 75% holiday bonus.
- 1 month (proportional) of Christmas bonus.
- "Vales de despensa" 3,112 MXN / month.
- Coworking contribution
- Health & Life insurance.
- Home office set-up budget.
- Unlimited budget for Kindle books.
- Baubap Free Loan.
- Competitive salary.