Oct 28, 2023 - Betterview is hiring a remote Data Engineer. 📍Location: USA.
Help us grow in an ever-evolving marketplace. We are seeking a passionate and skilled Data Engineer to work on our Machine Learning team!
WHAT WE DO
Betterview is the Property Intelligence & Risk Management Platform that leading P&C insurance companies depend on to identify and mitigate risk, improve operational and inspection efficiency, and build a more transparent customer experience throughout the policy lifecycle. By empowering insurers to automate pricing, underwriting, and renewal while focusing strategic action on critical properties, Betterview is transforming the insurance industry from Repair and Replace to Predict and Prevent. Combining continuously evolving AI, predictive analytics, computer vision, and customizable workflows to geospatial imagery with commercial, private, and public data, Betterview supports your business's unique needs through transparent, actionable property insights.
We are looking for a mid to senior-level Data Engineer to join our growing Machine Learning team. In this exciting role, you will be an integral member of the team as you will have direct input into the growing space of remote sensing.
Betterview’s Lab system is a Python based microservices architecture wherein a complex workflow is required to build and gather datasets, build classifiers, and evaluate them in an efficient repeatable way. Betterview seeks a talented engineer that can work with Betterview’s Data Science and Machine Learning teams to continue to build out that infrastructure and support its continued use.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING
- Working on a stack of Python/PostgreSQL/PostGIS and messaging/microservices architecture.
- Working with Betterview’s partners to integrate their products with Betterview’s to improve machine learning dataset label creation.
- Developing and maintaining Airflow to orchestrate our data pipelines.
- Writing code that brings machine learning classifiers to life including dataset generation, auto train systems, and automatic evaluation systems.
Please note, all Betterview employees must reside within the U.S., and we are unable to provide visa transfer or sponsorship.
WHAT YOU WILL BRING TO OUR COMPANY
- Experience in highly scalable systems, including messaging and microservices systems.
- Experience in SQL (some form of relational database, BV uses PostgreSQL, but others translate well).
- Familiarity with data migration, transformation, and ETL processes.
- Experience with data modeling and schema design.
- Python experience in application development.
- Experience working with third party SDKs and Web Services.
- Some experience with Kubernetes is a plus.
The successful candidate:
- Has the ability and willingness to travel up to 10%.
- Has the ability to work independently and as part of a collaborative team.
- Has experience optimizing database performance.
- Has excellent communication skills.
- Utilizes strong problem-solving skills.
OUR COMPENSATION PHILOSOPHY
Betterview is committed to administering a fair, equitable, and inclusive interview and offer process that is transparent and free of discrimination and in compliance with federal and state laws. The base salary range associated with this position is $100,000 to $150,000 and has been determined through the use of external data sources that provide current market pay rates. The base salary range is considered a national average and is determined by the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for this role and does not include our comprehensive benefits described below. When an offer is presented, compensation will be commensurate with an individual’s background, experience, and location; therefore, the range associated with this position could vary. Offers of employment for this position will include base salary, equity, and a comprehensive benefits package.
WHAT WE PROVIDE
- Compensation commensurate with experience.
- Generous health benefits – medical, dental and vision.
- FSA and HSA.
- 11 paid holidays.
- Full-time employees receive 160 hours per year of paid time off; part-time employees accrue PTO on a pro-rated basis.
- Paid parental leave. Betterview will provide up to 6 weeks paid parental leave to employees following the birth of an employee’s child or the placement of a child with an employee in connection with adoption or foster care.
- Basic life and AD&D insurance. Betterview pays 100% of the premium. Employees receive a benefit amount of $50,000.
- Shortterm disability. Betterview pays for 100% of the plan premium.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP. Betterview provides free access to a confidential EAP which offers licensed counselors as well as financial and legal experts to help with life’s challenges.
- Pet Insurance. Betterview offers veterinary pet insurance at a discounted rate for employees.
- Charity contribution match, up to $100.
- Cell phone reimbursement.
- Professional development reimbursement.
- Commuter benefits.
Betterview provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to age, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetics, veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. In addition to federal law requirements, Betterview complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Betterview will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.
Betterview will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law. If you’re applying for a position in San Francisco, review the guidelines applicable in your area.
Betterview expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Betterview employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation to complete this application, please let us know by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.