Oct 30, 2023 - Verikai is hiring a remote Senior Data Scientist. 📍Location: USA.
Verikai is a leading provider of predictive analytics and AI-powered solutions for the insurance industry. Through our innovative platform, Verikai empowers insurers with advanced data-driven risk assessment insights, streamlining the underwriting process and optimizing business outcomes. With a commitment to technological advancement, Verikai is changing the insurance industry by assisting underwriters with decision-making when it comes to risk.
Verikai isn’t your typical insurtech. And we aren’t looking for typical employees. We're a fully remote organization, meaning you can work from your sofa, your favorite café, or a (WIFI-equipped) cabin in the woods. All you need is your brain and a laptop…and we provide the laptop. We’re looking for passionate people who want to do good work for a good purpose. We are a growing and well-funded company with a great product and even better ideas. If you want to make an immediate impact on the way the insurance industry works while working in a fun, fast-paced, and supportive environment, you’ve come to the right place.
Maximizing accuracy. Minimizing risk.
About the role
As part of the analytics team at Verikai, you will be in front of real customer issues and the data they generate in real time. You will be tasked with analyzing large-scale datasets and rewarded by witnessing your analysis been leveraged by the customers and creating tremendous value for them. You will have the opportunity to train yourself, with help from more senior team members, on using various data tools to analyze various types of complex datasets. You will also be able to manipulate our cutting-edge machine learning platform and improve it to build insightful models while learning and practicing how to build a truly operational model. Our start up culture will allow you to will work closely with all aspects of the business, and really shine on building up our analytics process and infrastructure.
- Develop cutting-edge machine learning algorithms, complement to our proprietary modeling platform, to extract greater lift from our data and provide more value for the customers
- Refine/tailor our proprietary machine learning algorithm to better fit into various scenarios presented by the customers and our own visions
- Constantly look for useful attributes to expand our core data assets from various data sources, like US census bureau, and validate the usefulness of the new data
- Utilize proper tools to clean customer data, like PySpark, R, Python, or Excel, to prepare for upcoming data analysis or modeling exercises
- Conduct descriptive analysis or other statistical analysis on customer data to identify valuable patterns to guide customers’ business decisions. Analyze the data creatively so that the results directly meet what customers want
- Help prepare presentations or other customer-facing materials to demonstrate the value of our insights and to educate the customers on what we did and how we did it
- Present the results/findings/models to customers as a technical expert, an industry insider, and a company promoter
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or above in Statistics, Mathematics, or Computer Science with 3-5 years of relevant working experience
- Demonstrates experience dealing with large datasets and creating models to solve real customer problems; Experience of modeling insurance data is a plus
- Deep knowledge in statistical modeling, knowing what’s good and what’s bad and how to tweak the parameters
- Proficient in Python or R, familiar with PySpark and Excel
- Critical and independent thinking, able to establish logical assumptions and think through scenarios
- Creative, open-minded, and positive attitude when challenges present themselves
- Not afraid of doing independent research, not settling on trivial progress
- Attention to detail; Sense of ownership in your work
- Effective communication, able to explain complex statistical terms and results to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Employer subsidized health, dental, and vision coverage
- 401(k) plan for employee contribution
- Flexible PTO policy + 10 generous paid holidays + Thanksgiving and Winter breaks
- Ego-free, open-door policy
- Remote first company—you can literally work anywhere with just your laptop and an internet connection
- Employer-paid meal delivery program via GrubHub
Customer-focused, innovative environment
- Flat organizational structure
- Team offsite, happy hours, lunch n’ learns
Reports to : Director of Data Science
Salary Range: $140,000.00 -$170,000.00