Dec 23, 2023 - Moonshot is hiring a remote Data Scientist. 📍Location: Ireland.
Moonshot believes that marginalized people in society — including minority ethnic people, people from working class backgrounds, women, disabled and LGBTQIA+ people — must be centered in the work we do. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other communities who are currently underrepresented in our workforce. We know a diverse workforce will enable us to understand drivers behind violent extremism and online harms in an in-depth way and do better work to counter them.
About the role:
Do you have a passion for a career in Tech and a genuine interest in working for an organisation tackling online harms - from violent extremism and gender-based violence to disinformation and child online exploitation?
We have a rare and exciting opportunity for a Data Scientist to join Moonshot, supporting the Director of Engineering. We are building our Ireland-based development team from the ground up, and we’re looking for an experienced individual to help with this effort and take our software to the next phase of its evolution.
You are someone who:
- Understands how to get insights out of large datasets.
- Loves to work in a high-performance team and operating environment, built on mutual trust, and continuous improvement.
- Wants to grow their technical and non-technical skills and responsibilities in a unique organisation.
- Deeply cares about using your skills to solve the complex problems to which your software applies.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Understand our data sources and help our harm experts better analyse these to generate insights
- Develop new analytical algorithms to be run against large datasets
- Develop, train and run ML models on our data to get answers to key questions
- Improve our system-wide data architecture to make the best use of our data
- Ensure the organisation’s human expertise and values are harnessed through our technology
- Guide our teams on how best to manage, store and structure data effectively and securely
- 3-5 years of data science or data analytical experience in a commercial environment, including use of machine learning, NLP and other language analysis algorithms, LLMs, etc.
- Strong working knowledge of Python and associated data analysis tools.
- Strong working knowledge of large-scale data management, processing and analysis.
- You are comfortable working with various data management and storage systems, including relational (e.g. MySQL, Athena) and file-based (e.g. parquet).
- Strong data architecture and modelling skills.
- You have a good understanding of modern engineering practices including DevOps, CI/CD development, source code management, etc.
- Experience working with cloud infrastructure (AWS preferred).
- Ability to learn quickly in technical and business problem spaces.
- Ability to understand complex data.
- You’re resilient and open-minded in ambiguous situations and can approach challenges from multiple perspectives.
- Has worked in a culture of high-trust where ideas can be freely shared and discussed and where the team makes outcome-oriented decisions together for the benefit of the mission.
- Excellent problem solving and strong communication skills, and able to work with cross-functional teams.
- Familiarity with and passion for ending online harms including violent extremism, disinformation, gender-based violence, etc.
- Well-versed in Scrum and/or Kanban.
- Comfort with responsibility, decision-making, ownership and autonomy.
- You are conscious about security and data protection when contributing to all aspects of software delivery.
- You keep up to date on progress on the tools and processes you work with and apply new things you have learned.
- You have worked in a fast-paced, agile environment with dynamic priorities and you know how to balance this without affecting the reliability and robustness of your software.
Working at Moonshot:
We’re growing quickly, have big ambitions, and high expectations of our staff. Our dedication to finding effective responses and leading innovation means that our work environment is fast-paced, dynamic and creative. We match this by offering our staff access to a range of learning and development options, scope to advance personal subject-matter expertise, and opportunities for career progression.
Moonshot Values that drive and guide our work each and every day:
- Optimism - We are ambitious and daring about our ability to impact global problems with innovative solutions, and positive about people’s ability to change. We value joy, while pursuing a serious mission.
- Kindness - We recognise the unique value of every single member of our team. We care for and support our colleagues, and cultivate a safe working environment for all. We empathise with victims of online harms as well as those at risk of perpetrating them.
- Authenticity - We root our work in evidence, and see the humanity behind online harms. We remember the people behind the data points. As we navigate fast-changing trends and increasingly complex environments, we stay true to our mission: one based on creativity, integrity, and hope.
- Accountability - We push ourselves to be personally responsible and hold ourselves and others to account in our work; we believe that trust and challenge can co-exist. When we make mistakes, we acknowledge them and find ways to improve. We provide autonomy and opportunity to our team as a pathway to personal growth and collective excellence. We incorporate ethics in all aspects of our decision making.
- Excellence - We use our deep regional knowledge and subject matter expertise to deliver high quality work. Where we don’t have the knowledge or skills, we find those who do, and build collaborative partnerships.
- Equality - We recognise the harms caused by racial inequality and gender inequality globally and especially in our own sector. We commit to our own ongoing education. We actively take steps to dismantle these, and other forms of inequality, through our internal policies and through the delivery of inclusive, ethical and effective programming.
Moonshot values the diversity of our team, and is committed to ensuring our workplace is inclusive. We are determined to ensure that our applicants and employees receive no less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, age, disability, religion, belief, sexual orientation, marital status, or race.
We recognise that our staff have different requirements based on their circumstances, and we are committed to providing a workplace that caters for these, including flexible working time to allow for caring responsibilities and remote working arrangements and work space adjustments to accommodate people with disabilities and other health conditions.
- 30 days paid leave per annum.
- Dental and Vision package.
- Private healthcare package, including coverage for partners and children.
- Employee Assistance Programme providing access to mental health support.
- Generous maternity and paternity package.