Dec 28, 2023 - Turnitin, LLC is hiring a remote Senior AI Data Engineer. 📍Location: UK.
100% REMOTE - must be UK Based
At Turnitin, an AI-centric leader in the educational and research sectors, we've been innovating and promoting academic integrity for over two decades. We have an established reputation for our advanced solutions, utilized by numerous academic institutions, corporations, and publishers worldwide.
Offering remote work as a default arrangement, we honor individual choices, value diversity, and respect local cultures. However, for those who prefer the office environment, we have multiple locations across the globe including Oakland, Dallas, Pittsburgh, Kyiv (Ukraine), Newcastle (UK), and Utrecht (Netherlands). Our team is diverse, but unified by our commitment to significantly impacting the realm of education.
As a Senior Data Engineer at Turnitin, you will be part of a global team of proactive, supportive, and independent professionals, striving to deliver sophisticated, well-structured AI and data systems. Collaborating closely with different teams within Turnitin, you'll integrate AI and data science across our broad suite of products, further enriching learning, teaching, and academic integrity.
Your role as a Senior Data Engineer entails a range of responsibilities, necessitating a balanced skillset:
- AI Data Engineering: Design, build, operate and deploy real-time data pipelines at scale using AI techniques and best practices. Support Turnitin's AI R&D efforts by applying advanced data warehousing, data science, and data engineering technologies. Aim for automation to enable a faster time-to-market and better reusability of new AI initiatives.
- Collaboration: Work in tandem with the AI R&D teams and the Data Platform Team to collect, create, curate and maintain high-quality AI datasets. Ensure alignment of data architecture and data models across different products and platforms.
- Innovation: Unearth insights from Turnitin's rich data resources through innovative research and development.
- Hands-on Involvement: Engage in data engineering and data science tasks as required to support the team and the projects. Conduct and own external data collection efforts - including state of the art prompt engineering techniques - to support the construction of state of the art AI models.
- Communication: Foster clear communication within the team and the organization, and ensure understanding of the company's vision and mission.
- Continuous Learning: Keep abreast of new tools and development strategies, bringing innovative recommendations to leadership.
- At least 4 years of experience in data engineering, ideally focused on enabling and accelerating AI R&D.
- Strong proficiency in Python, Java, and SQL.
- Proficiency with Redshift, Hadoop, Elasticsearch, and cloud platforms (AWS, Azure, GCP).
- Familiarity interacting with AI frameworks including PyTorch and TensorFlow and AI libraries such as Huggingface and Scikit-Learn.
- Experience with Large Language Models (LLMs) and LLM APIs.
- Strong problem-solving, analytical, and communication skills, along with the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
- 6+ years of experience in data engineering with a focus on AI and machine learning projects.
- Experience in a technical leadership role.
- Familiarity with natural language processing (NLP) techniques and tools.
- Experience in the education or education technology sectors.
- Experience with data visualization and data communications.
Characteristics for Success
- As a Senior Data Engineer, you should possess:
- A passion for creatively solving complex data problems.
- The ability to work collaboratively and cross-functionally.
- A continuous learning mindset, always striving to improve your skills and knowledge.
- A proven track record of delivering results and ensuring a high level of quality.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Curiosity about the problems at hand, the field at large, and the best solutions.
- Strong system-level problem-solving skills.
The expected annual base salary range for this position is: $108,308/year to $180,514/year. This position is bonus eligible / commission-based. As a Remote-First company, actual compensation will be provided in writing at the time of offer, if extended, and is determined by work location and a range of other relevant factors, including but not limited to: experience, skills, degrees, licensures, certifications, and other job-related factors. Internal equity, market and organizational factors are also considered.
Total Rewards @ Turnitin
Turnitin maintains a Total Rewards package that is competitive within the local job market. People tend to think about their Total Rewards monetarily – solely as regular pay plus bonus or commission. This what they earn in exchange for what they do. However, Turnitin delivers more than just these components. Beyond the intrinsic rewards of making a difference in the lives of educators, administrators, learners and researchers around the world, and thriving in an organization that is free of politics and full of humble, inclusive and collaborative teammates, the extrinsic rewards at Turnitin include generous time off and health and wellness programs that offer choice and flexibility and provide a safety net for the challenges that life presents from time to time. In our Remote-First approach to collaborating, you are also able to work the way that best fits your style and situation – whether that be remote, in one of our offices/rented spaces or hybrid.
Our Mission is to ensure the integrity of global education and meaningfully improve learning outcomes.
Our Values underpin everything we do.
Customer Centric - We realize our mission to ensure integrity and improve learning outcomes by putting educators and learners at the center of everything we do.
Passion for Learning - We seek out teammates that are constantly learning and growing and build a workplace which enables them to do so.
Integrity - We believe integrity is the heartbeat of ExamSoft. It shapes our products, the way we treat each other, and how we work with our customers and vendors.
Action & Ownership - We have a bias toward action and empower teammates to make decisions.
One Team - We strive to break down silos, collaborate effectively, and celebrate each other’s successes.
Global Mindset - We respect local cultures and embrace diversity. We think globally and act locally to maximize our impact on education.
- Flexible/hybrid working
- Remote First Culture
- Health Care Coverage*
- Tuition Reimbursement*
- Competitive Paid Time Off
- 4 Self-Care Days per year
- National Holidays*
- 3 all-company global holidays (Juneteenth + 2 Founder’s Days)
- Paid Volunteer Time*
- Charitable cContribution Match*
- Monthly Wellness Reimbursement/Home Office Equipment*
- Access to Modern Health (mental health platform)
- Parental Leave*
- Retirement Plan with match/contribution*
* varies by country
Turnitin, LLC is committed to the policy that all persons have equal access to its programs, facilities and employment. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and the LGBTQ+ community, regardless of age, gender, religion, marital or veterans status.