Dec 29, 2023 - Byway is hiring a remote Data Scientist. 📍Location: UK.
We help holidaymakers love their journeys
We’re the world’s first tech platform for flight-free holidays. We help people love their journeys, and are proud to be a certified B Corporation. Founded in March 2020, we've booked over 5,000 people onto flight-free trips with 97% five star reviews, and regularly appear in mainstream press from the Times to the Guardian. We’re growing 4x year on year, and have no plans to slow down until flight-free travel is mainstream.
We’re looking for a Data Scientist
We're seeking an experienced and versatile Data Scientist. Leverage your expertise in machine learning, data interpretation, and product analytics to enhance our innovative trip planning systems and help shape our product vision and strategy.
Our trip planning technology is complex and innovative, but there’s huge potential to optimise its output, learn based on user interactions, and augment its functionality and content using some of the latest AI tools and advances. You'll play a key role in guiding our product and business teams towards a more data-informed approach, helping our strategy and product development become increasingly led by the data we're collecting as we grow.
Your key responsibilities
- Model Development: Design and implement machine learning models to tackle ambiguous problems, improve our trip planning engine, optimise content, and optimise our processes. Examples: the algorithms used in our trip planning are broadly deterministic - how can we learn from user feedback and improve future results with ML? How can we suggest the most relevant places, activities and accommodations on our site given a user's interactions so far? How can we predict the value of customer enquiries so we can deal with the most valuable first?
- LLM implementation: Use LLMs and related tooling to improve our tech stack. From concierge and customer support conversations, to augmenting and growing our rich travel databases to build better trips, there are a significant number of opportunities where we would like to harness the power of LLMs to turbo-charge our operations and technology.
- Driving strategy with analysis: Understand and influence Byway's business objectives by driving analysis - whether simple or complex. Work with Byway's product analyst to ensure we have the right metrics and dashboards to drive company growth and success. Ensure the product and customer support teams are well-informed and supported in their decision-making through insightful and meaningful analysis, with clear, actionable and well-communicated insights for both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
What we’re looking for
- Proven Experience: significant experience in data science, with a strong portfolio of projects that demonstrate your skill in both machine learning and product analytics.
- Technical Proficiency: Expertise in data analysis tools (e.g., Python, R), machine learning techniques, and familiarity with BI/dashboard tooling.
- Product Mindset: Strong understanding of product analytics, with the ability to derive meaningful insights from user behaviour and product data.
- Excellent Communication Skills: Exceptional ability to communicate strategic and technical concepts to a diverse audience, and translate business needs into technical requirements.
- Startup Mentality: Curiosity, adaptability, and a willingness to contribute wherever needed in a high-growth startup environment.
What would be great (but isn’t required)
- Experience working with startups or in high growth environments
- Experience working with agile technology teams and processes
What we offer
- £65,000 - £75,000 p.a. depending on experience
- Company ownership through equity
- High spec laptop, tools, second screen, docking station, accessories
- Remote-first, flexible working:
- 20 days wherever: work when you like and where you like for most of the month - we’ll fund a day a week in a coworking space
- 2 days together: join our team in the London office two days each month (a couple of exceptions per year is fine!)
- One cost-price Byway holiday per year and agency rates with Eurostar for you and your family/friends
- An annual autumn Away Afternoon and optional Weekend Away in spring
How to apply
Please apply with your CV and a short covering letter. We're more interested in your covering letter than your CV.
We’re eager to receive applications from all backgrounds, including from people of colour, the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities, neurodivergent people, parents, carers, and people from lower socio-economic backgrounds. If there’s anything we can do to accommodate your specific situation, please let us know.
5th January 2024.