Jan 20, 2024 - GitLab is hiring a remote Backend Engineer, Create: Code Creation (AI). 📍Location: Northern America.
The GitLab DevSecOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 2,000+ team members and values that foster a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute. Learn more about Life at GitLab.
An overview of this role
The Create: Code Creations team builds AI-powered tools that suggest intelligent code to developers, enhancing their efficiency, and enabling outstanding software. We are expanding our generative AI capabilities to build APIs integrating large language models (LLMs). This team balances backend engineering, prompt engineering, and creative approaches to new challenges.
As an Intermediate Engineer, your journey involves immersing yourself in our innovative codebase, contributing high-quality code, and actively participating in collaborative code reviews. Embrace the opportunity to work alongside experienced team members, honing your skills and contributing to a culture of continuous learning. Take on challenges by investigating and resolving technical issues, demonstrating your problem-solving prowess. Engage in feature development, collaborating with cross-functional teams to bring ideas to life. Your role is pivotal in shaping the future of our product, ensuring it meets the highest standards of quality and innovation. As you grow in your technical journey, you'll play a key role in mentoring junior team members and contributing to the collective knowledge through documentation. Join us at GitLab, where your skills and passion for development will make a lasting impact on our collaborative and forward-thinking team!
Some examples of our projects:
What you’ll do
- Develop features and improvements to the GitLab product in a secure, well-tested, and performant way.
- Collaborate with Product Management and other stakeholders within Engineering (Frontend, UX, etc.) to maintain a high bar for quality in a fast-paced, iterative environment.
- Advocate for improvements to product quality, security, and performance.
- Solve technical problems of moderate scope and complexity.
- Craft code that meets our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale web environment. Maintain and advocate for these standards through code review.
- Recognize impediments to our efficiency as a team (“technical debt”), propose and implement solutions.
- Represent GitLab and its values in public communication around specific projects and community contributions.
- Ship small features and improvements with minimal guidance and support from other team members. Collaborate with the team on larger projects.
- Participate in Tier 2 or Tier 3 weekday and weekend and occasional night on-call rotations to assist troubleshooting product operations, security operations, and urgent engineering issues
What you’ll bring
- Ruby on Rails professional experience (2+ years preferred)
- SQL and database skills (PostgreSQL experience a plus)
- Proven experience building web applications and APIs
- Proficiency in the English language, both written and verbal, sufficient for achieving consensus and success in a remote and largely asynchronous work environment
- Demonstrated capacity to clearly and concisely communicate about complex technical, architectural, and/or organizational problems and propose thorough iterative solutions
- Experience with performance and optimization problems and a demonstrated ability to both diagnose and prevent these problems
- Experience owning a project from concept to production, including proposal, discussion, and execution.
- Self-motivated and self-managing, with strong organizational skills.
- Comfort working in a highly agile, intensely iterative software development process
- Positive and solution-oriented mindset
- An inclination towards communication, inclusion, and visibility
- You are familiar with working in an open source environment
- You are comfortable working in a cross-functional organization
- You are able to thrive in a fully remote organization
- You are able to use GitLab
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values
- Experience with Python or Golang development
- Understanding of prompt engineering and tuning generative AI outputs
- Creativity in applying generative AI to solve problems and enhance products
- Comfortable with ambiguity and able to adapt quickly to new information
About the team
The team at GitLab is dedicated to fostering a collaborative and innovative development environment. They actively contribute to creating high-quality code, emphasizing best practices and continuous improvement. For a detailed insight into their processes and workflows, you can explore the team's handbook pages here. This resource provides a comprehensive guide to their approach in code creation, including coding standards, code review processes, and collaborative development practices. Joining this team means being part of a culture that values excellence, open communication, and the ongoing evolution of development methodologies
How GitLab will support you
Please note that we welcome interest from candidates with varying levels of experience; many successful candidates do not meet every single requirement. Additionally, studies have shown that people from underrepresented groups are less likely to apply to a job unless they meet every single qualification. If you're excited about this role, please apply and allow our recruiters to assess your application.
The base salary range for this role’s listed level is currently for residents of listed locations only. Grade level and salary ranges are determined through interviews and a review of education, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities of the applicant, equity with other team members, and alignment with market data. See more information on our benefits and equity. Sales roles are also eligible for incentive pay targeted at up to 100% of the offered base salary.
Colorado/Washington pay range
California/New York/New Jersey pay range
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.