Synchron is a clinical-stage endovascular brain computer interface (BCI) company. Since 2012, the company has been developing a BCI platform that avoids the need for open brain surgery by using a minimally-invasive procedure. The Synchron Switch
™ BCI received FDA Breakthrough Device Designation in 2020, and is currently in human clinical trials in the US and Australia.
The company recently announced an oversubscribed $75 million Series C financing round led by ARCH Venture Partners, with participation from Gates Frontier, Bezos Expeditions and other top-tier investors. The funds will accelerate product development, facilitate commencement of a pivotal clinical trial, and advance Synchron towards a first-in-class BCI market approval for the treatment of paralysis.
The Synchron Switch
™ brain computer interface is implanted in the blood vessel on the surface of the motor cortex of the brain via the jugular vein, through a minimally-invasive endovascular procedure. Once implanted, it is designed to detect and wirelessly transmit motor intent out of the brain, restoring a capability for severely paralyzed patients to control personal devices with hands-free point-and-click. Synchron is a dynamic, multi-disciplinary and rapidly growing team.
Join our mission of developing a first-in-class commercial BCI for more than 100 million people worldwide with upper limb impairment. Help people with previously untreatable conditions regain connection to the world.
We are seeking a dynamic and innovative Software Engineer with a strong foundation in statistics and machine learning to join our data science team for a Summer internship.
The ideal candidate will thrive in both independent and collaborative environments, working alongside fellow engineers and data scientists to develop cutting-edge solutions to novel challenges of developing a Brain Computer Interface.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or a related engineering field.
- Proficient in Python programming with a proven track record of successful project implementation.
- Familiarity with software engineering deployment methods (containerization, continuous integration/continuous deployment, shell scripting)
- Expertise in leveraging multiprocessing techniques for efficient event-based processing on devices in the context of machine learning applications
- Solid background in statistics, signal processing, optimization, and machine learning.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively, demonstrating effective communication and teamwork skills.
- Availability to potentially commence full-time employment by September 2024.
- Knowledge or experience in Brain-Computer Interface (BCI) and Neuroscience is not required.