Trilateral Research have a fantastic opportunity for a Data Scientist to join the Sociotech for Good business unit in providing ethical AI solutions to customers in the public and private sector.
Within this role you will focus on supporting the advancement of our ethical AI data products, which including Trilateral's law enforcement focussed solutions to aid tackling child exploitation (CESIUM), organised crime (IRON) and human trafficking (Honeycomb), Trilateral's work in Air Quality Monitoring to help address environment and climate issues, and Trilateral's data science and analytics platform (STRIAD). As such, this post is particularly suited to those with a passion for applying data science in a real-world setting, which have a large positive impact on large scale societal problems, and packaging data science work into software products.
Our company and what we do
At Trilateral Research we provide ethical AI solutions for tackling complex social issues, from human trafficking and child exploitation, citizen security in crisis to pollution and climate change. We transform research into innovation and sustainable impact, focusing our efforts where we can enhance societal wellbeing.
We apply rigorous, cutting-edge research when developing and accessing new technologies to ensure they achieve sustainable innovation and measurable impact. Our teams include humanities specialists, social scientists, data scientists, ethical, legal and human rights experts who work across the technology-social disciplinary divide.
What are your responsibilities?
The successful candidate will have some expertise in one or more of the following fields:
Data Science – Operational Level
- Contribute to the delivery of Data Science related tasks in products and/or projects in line with specified requirements, demonstrate abilities to lead data science tasks from ideation through to delivery.
- Perform tasks relating to data management: collection, curation, cleaning, analysis, presentation, visualization activities.
- Lead technical reports, technical documentation, deliverables, and content for proposals.
- Work in an interdisciplinary Sociotech manner, ensuring an understanding and engagement with data ethics, data privacy, data security and algorithmic transparency considerations.
Coding and Documentation
- Write good quality, maintainable code.
- Provide clear and useful technical documentation.
- Contribute to discovery efforts under supervision of senior staff.
- Participate in the data science tribe supporting knowledge exchange efforts.
- Begin to demonstrate expertise through contributions to collaborative peer-reviewed publications and/or conference papers and marketing collateral.
What skills and experience will I need for the role?
- Good organizational, verbal and written communication skills
- Willingness to learn, knowledge share, and improve
- Display a problem focused mindset.
General Knowledge and Technical Skills:
- Demonstrable experience of completing data science projects.
- Demonstrable experience in working on collaborative software projects.
- Good understanding of statistics - hypothesis testing, p-values, confidence intervals, regression, classification, and optimization.
- Knowledge of machine learning evaluation methodologies
- Background knowledge of, and experience with, a variety of machine learning approaches, such as linear/logistic regression, SVM, random forests, and deep learning (ANN, RNN, CNN, LSTM, etc.)
- Good experience manipulating large data sets (structured and unstructured data) through statistical software or other methods
- Good technical skills (Python – essential). Note: we use Python, SQL, ElasticSearch, Neo4J, pandas, scikit-learn, Keras, PyTorch among others.
- Ability and willingness to discover, use, and learn new technologies.
- Demonstrable experience and interest in the realization of ethical AI.
Required Education and Experience:
- 2+ years’ experience in data science.
- Masters/PhD in a technical subject such as Physics, Computer Science, Mathematics, Data Science, or related subject.
What else do I need to know?
Location: This position is open to candidates based in the UK
Contract type: Permanent, full-time Employment Contract
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Hours: Full time
Our compensation package includes:
- Competitive salary
- Enhanced holiday entitlement increasing with service
- Company sick pay and family friendly pay
- Flexible working hours
- Remote working/working from home options
- Enhanced pension scheme based on service
- Continuous career development
How to apply
Please submit both your CV and a cover letter, linking your experience to our requirements in order to have your application considered. References will be required prior to appointment and candidates must be eligible to work in the UK
We are an Equal Opportunities employer and positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates, regardless of their age, sex, race, disability, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital/civil partnership status, or pregnancy and maternity. We are a Disability Confident committed and Living Wage employer.
At Trilateral Research, we value privacy and data protection rights. We have a longstanding data protection culture and promote robust ethical standards in data management and research ethics. Please read our Recruitment Privacy Notice in relation to our recruitment activities before submitting your application to work with us.